Canadians enjoy a variety of traditional foods from coast to coast. Here are nine of the most famous and beloved foods in Canada.
Poutine is a Quebecois dish made up of gravy, cheese curds, and french fries. It is a popular comfort food and is often served in restaurants and food trucks. Poutine can be found throughout Canada, but it comes from Quebec and there are different varieties.
2. Nanaimo Bars
- Nanaimo bars are a dessert that originated in Nanaimo, British Columbia. They consist of three layers: a chocolate crumb base, a custard-flavoured butter icing in the middle, and a layer of melted chocolate on top.
- Bannock is a type of bread that has been a staple in Indigenous cuisine for centuries. It is often made with flour, baking powder, and salt, and can be cooked on a griddle or over an open flame. Bannock can be enjoyed as a snack or as part of a meal.
4. Butter Tarts
- Butter tarts are a dessert that originated in Ontario. They are made up of a pastry shell that is filled with an egg, butter, and sugar mixture. They are a favourite sweet in Canada and can be found in many bakeries and cafes.
5. Montreal-style Bagels
- Montreal-style bagels are a type of bagel that originated in Montreal, Quebec. Compared to typical bagels, they are smaller, sweeter, and denser. They are frequently cooked in honey water before baking. Montreal-style bagels are a popular breakfast food in Canada.
6. Smoked meat
- Montreal smoked meat is cured in seasoning with cracked peppercorns and savoury flavourings, such as coriander, garlic, and mustard seeds, and significantly less sugar. The recipe for Montreal steak seasoning is based on the seasoning mixture for Montreal smoked meat.
- Caesars are popular Canadian cocktails. They are made with vodka, clamato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and a celery salt rim. Caesars are often enjoyed during brunch or as pre-dinner drinks.
- Tourtière is a traditional French-Canadian meat pie that is often served during the holidays. It is made with ground pork, beef, or veal, and is seasoned with spices like cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Tourtière is a popular Christmas dish in Canada.
9. Calgary beef hash
- This dish is a fantastic burger but not a typical one since its sides are beans and salad; No more, no less, very straightforward, you have to try it!
Canada has a unique and delicious cuisine that offers something for everyone. As an international student in Canada, exploring these traditional dishes is an excellent way to experience Canadian culture. Many of these foods can be found in grocery stores, cafes, and restaurants throughout Canada, so make sure to try some of these foods while you’re in the country.